Friday, March 26, 2010

Thursday: 3/25 Pasta Meat Sauce

Menu reads as follows: Whole wheat pasta w/meat sauce, Breadstick, seasoned peas, applesauce

What they got: Whole wheat pasta, breadstick, seasoned peas and applesauce.


This meal actually is better than most we've seen. It looks kind of appetizing, there are whole grains and a meatsauce, which apparently is made from scratch. When I make a bolognaise I usually pack it full of yummy ripe tomatoes, onions, carrots and celery and sometimes red peppers or mushrooms. My child doesn't even know the veggies are there! Sometimes you have to be sneaky ;)  The canned peas, the emaciated breadstick and the applesauce could be improved on. Again, no fresh vegetable or fruit offered on the tray, HOWEVER, Chartwells has said that they will now offer a fresh fruit basket daily! Yes!
Oh, and please note the styrofoam plate. Darn styrofoam! Be gone with you, you're toxic and unnecessary!

Overall I believe Chartwells is being responsive and trying to correct the problem. They delivered what they said they would. Thank you!

Speaking of Chartwells, the food service director and his regional chef where at my daughters school yesterday! Yes, they came to talk to me! I was pleased to be able to have a conversation with them and so my next post "In defense of Chartwells...." will be about the challenges that Food Service companies face. Seriously, this food issue is soooo complicated and I do not see any clear cut solutions, but we have to try make improvements where and when we can. Start local, be vocal and act!

4 comments:

  1. I've seen the bolongnese sauce myself in person without the pasta on it and it kind of looked like cat food to me. Trust me no vegetables were harmed in the process of making it.

    I think change has to start with parents, we have to demand better food for our kids and also be a voice for those parents who don't have the time, resources or knowledge to fight for their kids.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In view of the constraints of school lunches, this isn't all that bad. It may not be as good as what we feed our kids at home, but we have a larger budget, less diverse tastes to satisfy and a kitchen adjacent to the dining room, where food can be cooked fresh. And we can insist the veggies get eaten.

    I agree there is, however, no excuse for the styrofoam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have less issue with what they put on the menu than with the execution of that menu. If you're talking a big game about fresh fruit and tossed salads, I want to see FRESH fruit and a tossed salad. If it says pizza, I don't want to see a burnt piece of french bread with what can only be generously called cheese. Other than this particular post, most of this stuff look inedible and vile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @keating408 Huge constraints for food service companies, hands tied by USDA and school district.
    @ayesha I too am glad presentation is changing. check out next pizza post! Amazing what a little ruffling of feathers can do!

    ReplyDelete