In the mean time here are few observations:
WALLACE ELEMENTARY: On the menu: Chicken Tenders, white rice, creamy coleslaw, fresh orange, dipping sauce
- That day they served an additional vegetable: Broccoli :)
- They have a small deli bar with cold cuts and assorted cheeses.
- The kids have an option to eat the following everyday : Hamburger, cheeseburger, chicken patty burger, fries and assorted pizzas.
- According the NJ state law the lunch ladies may only serve to the kids what they themselves ask for! Really?
- They serve chocolate milk, strawberry milk, 1%milk and juice everyday. I'm just wondering whatever happened to drinking water.
- Everything served was processed except for the fruit in the basket and the broccoli.
- The freezer in the basement was as large as most peoples' apartments
- They prepare 500 school lunches daily with 1 cook and 7 additional prep staff.
- In addition to the above menu they also serve pizza daily
- Full deli bar on offer daily with everything from tuna salad to pickles
- They only serve about 120 lunches daily. This means that the other 400 students are leaving campus to eat out. I wonder how we could get them to eat at school?
After reading the High schools menu and seeing the food I'm little more hopeful about the food being served. The thing that bothers me is that the the satellite school students are the ones that are really being fed poorly. They are served processed commodity foods on a daily bases with no fresh vegetables- ever!
I will carry this post on when I'm finally able to take pictures of the food and post it. Please note Hoboken School District: Pictures of the food! I have no interest in photographing the kids!!
After visiting Wallace and the High School I dashed off my daughters school to check up on what they were eating:
The menu read as follows: Chicken tenders, white rice, creamy coleslaw, fresh orange, dipping sauce
What they got: Chicken tenders, white rice, creamy coleslaw, fresh orange, ketchup
I arrived well into their lunch break and so had to photograph a half eaten lunch, so please picture more rice on the plate. That's it. Can't say anymore on this than whats already been said.